Wednesday, September 29, 2010

0

COMPUTER MAGIC: MIXTAPE



"It’s for someone who likes garage rock or something similar and lo-fi. I suppose it’s a good mix to listen to whilst driving cross country, as most of the songs have lyrics that you can easily shout about to (i.e. Shopping Bag a good example). I picture driving through New Mexico or Nevada, some road in the middle of nowhere (a desert encompassing, etc. think ‘Fear and Loathing’, ‘Breaking Bad’)

The Clean are this great New Zealand dunedin sound band that I don’t think ever gained as much recognition as they should have, really cool lo-fi jangly stuff. There is a great video for ‘Beatnik’, though I’ve had trouble finding it as of late. The Penetrators also have this awesome video for ‘Shopping Bag’ that got rejected by MTV- it’s definitely on youtube somewhere. The song by The Shag is off one of the Pebbles compilations (Pebbles compilations have the most amazing assortment of obscure 60’s garage rock). Jacques Dutronc is one of my favorite French artists, right after Serge Gainsbourg, he made some amazing tunes (I recommend checking out the song ‘Et Moi, Et Moi, Et Moi’). Art Brut and The Ponys I listened to literally everyday in high school- along with Black Wire who are now Televised Crimewave. Blood Orange is the new project of my friend Dev (Lightspeed Champion), it’s really wonderful stuff that you can’t pin down genre wise but is amazing. The Cramps and Brian Jonestown should be on anyone’s mix tape. I’m not sure why ‘Jungle’ by ELO is on there, but it’s surprisingly fitting and lightens everything up a bit, one of my favorites by them."-Computer Magic

1. Warp Drive – Jack Finlay, Douglas Grindstaff, Joseph Sorokin (Star Trek Original Sound Effects)
2. Beatnik – The Clean
3. Shopping Bag – The Penetrators
4. Go Away – The Shag
5. Les Gens Sont Fous, Les Temps Sont Flous – Jacques Dutronc
6. Good Weekend – Art Brut
7. Jungle – ELO
8. Sutphin Boulevard (Demo) – Blood Orange
9. I Only Love You (Cause You Look Like Me) – The Ponys
10. Can’t Hardly Stand It – The Cramps
11. Ungodly Hour – Black Wire
12. Miss June ‘75 – Brian Jonestown Massacre

DOWNLOAD MIX

0 comments:

Post a Comment